Thursday, March 20, 2008

CARVER Method

As I mentioned early off in this blog -- I 'think' I know BCP and DR concepts, but at a pretty intro/101 level. Well, tonight I learned about a (new to me) cool concept, and sure enough, it dates back to World War II. :)

I was reading a December post at SearchDataCenter.com about "avoiding DR pitfalls" and the author talked about the CARVER Matrix.
"CARVER is an old scheme dating back to World War II and stands for criticality, accessibility, recoverability, vulnerability, effect, recognizability. The idea is to list as many assets with descriptions as possible and rank them one to five in each point to help you determine the vulnerability of your data center as a system."
There is a white paper linked in there article that goes into the matrix deeper. Pretty cool method to apply and think about when writing DR and BCP documents and processes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I am a student from portugal, do you have more information about the carver method, or books with info? please send me a email to baleia7@hotmail.com

best regards