Monday, February 4, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my BCP (Business Continuity Planning) Links blog!!

BCP and DR (Disaster Recovery) have always been an interest of mine and something that I wanted to learn more about. I plan on this blog being my way to learn about BCP and DR concepts while (hopefully) pointing others interested in the topic to useful news, knowledge and trends in the industry.

So.....pardon the basics, but just in case any readers come across this and want to start with the VERY basic concept, let's turn to the encyclopedia(Wikipedia):

Business Continuity Planning:
an interdisciplinary peer mentoring methodology used to create and validate a practiced logistical plan for how an organization will recover and restore partially or completely interrupted critical function(s) within a predetermined time after a or extended disruption. The logistical plan is called a Business Continuity Plan
Disaster Recovery
the process, policies and procedures of restoring operations critical to the resumption of business, including regaining access to data (records, hardware, software, etc.), communications (incoming, outgoing, toll-free, fax, etc.), workspace, and other business processes after a natural or human-induced disaster.
To begin I may set out and try to find some other definitions of BCP and DR, just to see how other experts or trusted sources define the concept. After that I want to dig into some of the primary terminology used when discussing these two things; such as impact analysis, hot site, warm site, cold site, RTO (Recovery Time Objective) and RPO (Recovery Point Objective). Next I will most likely dig into the magazines, portals and other blogs on the topic and finally I may narrow my focus to data centers and wide area networks - as they relate to BCP.

I promise not to dwell on the basics for too long -- but please comment if there is something you are interested in learning more on that I maybe didn't spend a lot of time on. Writing this particular blog is my way of learning more on the topic and industry as well as discovering the vast amount of information out there.

-John



No comments: